Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Six-month update

Mia had her six-month doctor visit yesterday, and it went really well. Our waffle weighed in at 18lbs 0.5oz and measured 26.5". She had been in about the 95th percentile in both measurements at her last appointment, but now she's in about the 85th percentile for both measurements at her age, which is good. They say that breastfed babies tend to be bigger than formula-fed babies for the first six months, and then they tend to be a little slimmer than formula-fed babies for the next six months as they start rolling around and crawling. So it's good that she's developing well.

Mia received her third round of shots yesterday, which actually went fairly well. She didn't even cry at the first shot...she just looked really irritated. Then she cried pretty hard for about 30s after the second, and that was it. I think the nurse that we've had the last two times is just really good at giving them. And now we get a three-month break before our next round! :o)

Our pediatrician is pretty eager to get Mia eating a lot more solid food ASAP, which sort of surprised me. I guess she's been studying for her board re-certification, and there is a lot of new research that kids often don't get enough iron in the second six months of life. So, she wants us getting Mia up to 2-3tbs of iron-fortified cereal three times per day...and then moving right along into veggies, fruits, and even meat. She also wants us to feed her solid food first three times a day and then to finish those feedings off with breast milk "if she's interested". Alas, my first disagreement with the doctor. I agree with most of what she's said, and we will definitely offer Mia more cereal and start making progress towards veggies and fruits, but I still plan on breastfeeding first at all meals and I don't plan on offering Mia any meat for a few more months. Everything I've read says that a feeding schedule like that can lead to a baby weening herself way early, and everyone agrees that "breast milk is best" for the first 12 months. And in fact, I was reading yesterday that if she does stop nursing before 12 months, then I'd have to supplement with formula anyhow!

The other interesting note is that Mia still doesn't shed tears... And my doctor has never heard of a baby her age not shedding tears, at least unless the baby's sweat glands were also not working. But Mia doesn't have that problem. (Hence the wonderful hairdo she's always got when we take her out of the car seat...) But Jeff found a message board where some parents said that their kids didn't start w/ the tears until 7-9 months. So I'm prepared to be heart broken when that starts... ;o)

No comments: