Monday, June 26, 2006

Lamaze - Part 4

Today was all about labor positions and the breathing (or lack there of) during pushing. We also did an exercise where our instructor gave us about 20 cards w/ opposing delivery options on either side. We laid out all the cards with our ideal options facing up. So for example, we got to choose between epidural/no epidural, vaginal birth/C-section, multiple support people/one support person, etc. Then when we were finished, we had to imagine that a couple things didn't go the way we wanted and to turn over a couple of cards. Then a couple more. And then a couple more. It was amazing how quickly I ran out of things I was willing to give up easily. That made me realize how odd it is to spend so much time preparing for an event you have so little control over. But in any case, it's better to be informed than not. I mean, I can't imagine learning about forceps delivery for the first time while in the middle of actually delivering a child. We also watched a rather unpleasant video on C-section deliveries. I think that was actually more disturbing than watching the vaginal births. The main thing we learned is that dads should not look over the curtain during surgery! ;o) On a happy note, we have our next ultrasound scheduled in a couple days. If she is upside down, I think this will be our last ultrasound. If not, we may be in for several more between now and delivery until she does flip over. I'm mostly looking forward to figuring out exactly where she is and where she's facing so that I can figure out if she's been punching or kicking the same place on my stomach for the last week. :o) I'll post new baby pictures soon!

No comments: