Sleep: Sophie's sleep habits are pretty similar to what Mia's were at this age. She's waking me up about every 3 hours to nurse, and she's really good about going right back to sleep. The biggest difference with Sophie is that she's not a really big fan of sleeping by herself. She'll sleep for about 30 minutes or an hour in her basinet before waking up and crying until I bring her to bed with me. I told this to a friend of mine who then said, "Oh, so you guys are co-sleeping?" I think I said no, but only because I'm totally in denial about sleeping w/ my kid in my bed. That and my goal is to get her sleeping on her own mattress ASAP. I don't have a problem w/ co-sleeping per se, but I have a hard time staying asleep w/ a fragile 9-pound person next to my much larger frame. And I constantly wake up terrified that I've suffocated or squished her...
Our biggest challenge with sleep, however, has been the fact that the girls have been double teaming us. Literally the 2nd day we were home from the hospital, Mia came down w/ her first earache ever. Then she came down w/ a cough and congestion. And then she came down w/ a 2nd earache. So b/c she's been in pain and can't breathe that well, she's sleeping lighter than usual. We've had a couple of nights where I've been up all night nursing the baby, and Jeff has been trying every thing to get Mia back to sleep -- including driving her all the way to Pasadena and back. To top it all off, Sophie now has Mia's cold, and our pediatrician thinks Mia *may* have mild asthma. So Sophie is having a hard time breathing, and Mia is on a temporary inhaler. I figure if we front-load all this crap, it can only seem easier later. Righter??
Diapers: I decided that I wanted to try cloth diapering w/ Sophie since we have access to our own washer & dryer this go around. We used the disposables we received in the hospital and as shower gifts to get through the first week or so, and we've been using the cloth diapers since then. It has definitely meant a few extra loads of laundry each week, but it's not nearly as bad as everyone seems to think it is when they hear we're using cloth. I bought us a diapering kit from a company called Bummis that has 36 cloth diapers and 6 super cute waterproof covers that fasten just like disposables do. We don't us a "wet" pail (for those who had to do that back in the day). Instead, we store them in a "dry" pail. We have a waterproof laundry liner, and the whole bag goes right into the wash along w/ the diapers and covers. I've been washing diapers about every other day, and the yuck factor is actually pretty small. :o)Postpartum: Despite the general lack of sleep, I'm actually feeling really good 3 weeks out. I desperately missing teaching Stroller Strides and attending my own workouts, but I've been walking with the girls in the stroller most days of the week. We get in a least 2 miles when we go out, and today we got in a little more than 5. Maybe it's because many folks are still newly resolved to get in shape, but I am seeing runners everywhere, and I seriously can't wait to join their ranks. I've been browsing upcoming race calenders to plan out the 2nd half of the year. I'm still about 3 weeks about from my postpartum check-up, though, so I'm still taking it easy.




No comments:
Post a Comment