Wednesday, August 23, 2006

We have a pediatrician!

I have prenatal appointment scheduled for next week with Mia's pediatrician. I'm pretty excited about what I know about the office so far, but I'm supposed to come up with a bunch of questions for the appointment to make sure that my parenting philosophy jibes with that of the doctor. How on earth am I supposed to know what kinds of questions I'll have about Mia once she's here?? I already have the answers to most of the things I wanted to know about...
  • There is an MD or RN available after hours to answer an emergency questions that come up.
  • The office takes walk-ins from 8:30 am - 9:00 am Mon - Sat for sick appointments, so you don't have to call and try to schedule an appt if your kid gets sick overnight.
  • The practice is pro-breastfeeding and has a lactation consultant on the staff, & you can chat w/ her during well-baby visits or over the phone.
  • There are three different waiting areas: one for sick kids, one for healthy kids coming for well-baby checks (that way they aren't getting sneezed on by sick kids), and a private waiting area for nursing moms.
  • The office staff seems super nice & eager to help over the phone.
So as long as I like the doctor when I meet her in person, I think we're good to go. I can't believe we have a pediatrician! A couple of other notes... I had another weekly OB appt this morning, and I still have no news to report. He said he could answer any question except for, "When is she coming?" ;o) But all my vitals are still good, so we're just waiting & she'll come when she's ready. At least we don't have to worry about her being preterm! Also, Jeff and I took a Baby Care Basics class last weekend at our hospital. That was pretty informative. The major emphases were things like what's normal vs. what requires a call to the pediatrician and what a normal newborn really looks like (i.e., not the Gerber baby). Jeff and I were both horrified, however, when in the discussion of "what's normal" the instructor handed out laminated legal-sized posters with 9 different photographs of soiled diapers... The captions said things like, "normal at 1-2 days" or "never normal - call doctor". The funny part is that as the posters were coming around, everyone gasped & groaned in unison. But within a couple of minutes, she'd said something like, "And if you ever see this, call your doctor immediately!" Then every couple in the room was intently bent over the poster to get a better look at the diapers as though it were...normal. *Sigh.* This is how it happens... This is how you go from being a perfectly normal person who doesn't talk about such things to being a parent who can't understand why everyone doesn't want to hear about how many bowel movements her child had yesterday. And Jeff and I got tossed into the deep end of the pool - with pictures and everything!!

No comments: