Tuesday, January 09, 2007

I'm officially a mom now

Remember when you were little and your mom would lick her finger to clean off your face? Remember how that was the grossest thing in the world? Maybe you'd had jelly or something on your chin, but now you had spit there instead... And remember how we all wondered how exactly that was a better situation?

Well, it's apparently an unconscious maneuver. Mia had some dried milk on her cheek the other day, and I totally licked my thumb and wiped it off. Then I froze and thought, "Oh no, I just did that..."

Now that I've apparently become a turncoat, I thought I'd speak out on behalf of moms everywhere and explain why this is actually okay. Three reasons:
  1. Spit is invisible, and whatever was there before wasn't. If your kid can't actually be clean at the moment, at least she can look it!
  2. I have been covered in Mia's slobber for months, so it's fair, even if it isn't sanitary.
  3. A mom's spit has magical disinfecting properties. Just like slaying monsters under the bed and undoing really big knots, it's one of the super powers they give you before you leave the hospital.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love it!!! Now I feel totally vindicated, it's great watching you turn into a "Mom". I especially like reason #3.