Monday, March 02, 2009

Sophie's Big Two-Month Update



As you can see here, Sophie is a pretty happy baby. :o) She smiles a lot, and we can tell that she's really trying to laugh...though it always comes out as a high-pitched chirp or squeal. And though she smiles easily, she's quite a little diva. Jeff and I affectionately call her the Firecracker, because when she starts crying, she just explodes into some powerful vocals as if we'd been ignoring her cries for at least 20 minutes. Luckily she's usually pretty easy to soothe with a diaper change, a cuddle, or her next meal.



Sophie is a super cuddly baby. I think she could happily nuzzle in someone's arms 24 hours each day. I end up wearing her in her carrier often b/c she likes being kept so close by. She's also had a strong preference for sleeping at my side since birth, though we are starting to make some progress in getting her to sleep in her own bed. She usually falls asleep in the evenings between 8:30 and 9:30, and she'll got down in the cradle in our room.



She generally sleeps until about 1am, and then she wakes me up about twice between then and 5 or 6am to nurse. I usually bring her to bed w/ me at that point so she can nurse while I sleep. This seems to be working out pretty well b/c, even though I would *love* to sleep for 8 hours straight, I don't feel as wrecked as I did when I was still nursing Mia 2-3 times a night.



Sophie had her two-month well-baby visit last week, and she's doing really well. She measured 23.5" and weighed 13.13lbs, putting her in the 97th percentile for weight. (She had been in the 98th percentile a month earlier...) So the girl is clearly eating well! I love that my pediatrician just chuckles when she looks at all of Sophie's pudginess and jokes that the breastfeeding is clearly going well. (We had similar conversations about Mia a couple of years ago.) Sophie also got 2 more shots at this appointment, and she took one vaccine orally. I'm already amazed that some of these things have changed since Mia's well-baby visits. None of Mia's vaccine's were oral until she got her last flu shot.



Sophie did manage to get us on our toes this morning. I had called the advice nurse at our pediatrician's office yesterday to ask about some heavy eye discharge she's had the last few days. I got a message back from her toward the end of the day suggesting that I bring her in for a walk-in sick visit at 8:30am this morning. So we were there at 8:30am, and I learned shortly afterwards that the poor thing has a double eye infection and a double ear infection. So we've got 10 days of oral antibiotics and 5 days of eye drops. But the doctor did comment that Sophie was the happiest baby she's ever seen w/ a double ear infection. :o) Told ya she's a happy one!



As you can see here, Sophie still really likes sleeping on her boppy. I am getting better, though, about having some of her day time naps in her cradle. Slow but steady progress.



One thing Jeff and I have both noticed that Sophie has in common w/ her sister is that both girls really enjoy(ed) being on the the changing table. Sophie loves to kick her legs, stretch her arms, look around, smile, and coo while she's on it. It's a pretty fun time during the day, b/c we have some great conversations. We get lots of cooing, gerring, and aahhring. :o)

2 comments:

kelpi said...

what a great update! I really enjoyed reading about little Sophia. She looks super cuddly. -Kelsi

Anonymous said...

Wow Mommy! You have such beutiful girls. I can't belive how Sophie just beams. It seems she is always smiling.
~Dolly