Thursday, December 18, 2008

41-week Appointment...and a Visit to Labor & Delivery

What a day it's been so far... I had a routine visit w/ my OB this morning that triggered a very busy afternoon. The good news is that I've managed to get to 2-3cm, which is awesome. However, Sophie slept during my entire non-stress test. If a baby doesn't move at all during a non-stress test, you can't really measure how well her heart reacts to movement. And then your doctor freaks out that maybe the baby isn't moving at all. I tried assuring them that Sophie had participated in some sort of wrestling match last night, but they were unconvinced.

In fact, the next thing she said was that she wanted to induce me b/c the baby had failed the NST. But she also said she knew how strongly I feel about inductions and said she was going to give me a chance to head over to the hospital for two tests to makes sure that the baby and the placenta were still doing well. She warned me that if either test didn't go well she was going to have to induce, so she told me to take my labor bag w/ me.

So I called Jeff to come home from work so we could head to the hospital together. Jeff ducked out of a holiday work party w/o saying anything (b/c he didn't really know what to say and didn't want to freak people out), and we dropped Mia off to hang out w/ my friend Tracey and her two kids.

Once we got to L&D, I changed into a very sexy hospital gown, and they wheeled me up to radiology for a biophysical profile of the baby. Thankfully that test went perfectly, and the sonographer told us that Sophie looked perfect, was moving around, and was breathing during the entire exam. As a bonus, we got to see the most amazing pictures of her little face, including her little pouty lips. :o)

Then I was wheeled back to L&D for a contraction stress test. During this test they were looking to see how well Sophie's heart rate responded to three induced contractions. Our nurse said that her responses were perfect, and she sent the results over to my OB to get confirmation that we could go home. Luckily my OB agreed, and we are home! :o) We are scheduled to head back to the OB's office first thing tomorrow for another non-stress test to keep an eye on things. I'm really hoping that I just go into labor before then so we don't risk a repeat of this afternoon's events. Either way, keep us in your prayers b/c it looks like we're getting close...one way or another.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Oh Sophie! Come out come out, whereever you are! OK, we KNOW where you are but it's time to come out sweet little one! :)

Good luck Kristy and Jeff! We're so excited for you guys!
Love, Julie, Bob & Cooper